When you buy a universal remote control, it will not work directly with the device(s) it is intended to control. You have to program the universal remote control for each device and three solutions are possible: with the brand’s code, or without code by discovery, or by learning. For each of these methods, you must first choose the device to be controlled by pressing the appropriate button on the universal remote control and then program it with your device.
Use The Brand Code To Program Universal Remote Control
A list of codes is often delivered with your universal remote control and is often organized by family of products (TV, DVD player, stereo, etc.) and by brand. These codes allow you to easily set up your universal remote control with the most important functions. To enter this code, you usually need to enter the setup function and enter the code.
- Press and hold the Setup button on the remote until the red light on the remote turns on.
- Press “TV” on your remote to chose to program a TV
- Enter the code for your device
- Your universal remote control is now programmed to the TV
After that, a quick test will verify the proper functioning of the universal remote control. There can be several codes for the same brand and for the same type of device. If using a code does not work, you must use auto-discovery.
Use Automatic Discovery To Program Universal Remote Control
Auto-discovery allows you to test different signals in order to determine which one is the right one for the control of the device of your choice. The procedure is simple:
- Point the remote control at the device you want to control
- Press “TV ” on the remote to let it know that you want to control a TV.
- Press the “Power” button on your remote and hold it until the device turns off.
- Press “Enter”
- Your universal remote control is now programmed with the device.
If it works, it is now ready. If not, restart the program to test other signals. And so on.
Program Universal Remote Control By Learning
If the previous method did not succeed, you have one last possibility, programming universal remote control by learning. As the name suggests, this technique allows you to learn the functions of the original remote control key by key. To do this, put the 2 remote controls face to face by activating the learning function and press the buttons on both remote controls to teach the functions. After each key has been taught-in, you can immediately check its function.